The Lactic Acid Bacteria Serum or LABS is made from rice wash and pure milk. The manufacturing process is similar to yogurt processing. It is one of the concoction product by the Korean Natural Farming Association. It was introduced by Han Gyue Cho, Manager of Natural Farming Institute, Korea.
LABS gives strength to weak plants, increases fruit size, provide defense against fungus and viruses. It can be used as soil conditioner or fertilizer. Can be mixed with other microorganisms as inoculant for compost making.
The Making of LABS, it sounds love!
1 glass rice wash
1 kg muscovado sugar or molasses
1 pc manila paper
30 tbsp powdered milk
3-5 container bottle
3-5 pcs of rubber band
10 glasses of water
1) Save one glass of the first rice washing and pour it to container with lid.
2) Add ten glasses of water.
3) Put the container with rice wash in a cool and shaded place for at least five to seven days.
4) After seven days, lactic acid bacteria will float. It has sour smell.
5) Strain the water to a container.
6) Add skim or powdered milk at three tbsp per ten glasses of labs.
7) Cover with manila paper and rubber band. Store for five to seven days.
8) The carbohydrate , protein and fat will float leaving a yellow liquid (serum)
9) Gather only the floating yellowing fat. It can be added to compose file or animal feed.
10) Store the pure lactic acid bacteria in refrigerator for later use.
11) Add equal amount of sugar/ molasses diluted with 1/3 water to have a pure acid bacteria serum.
How to apply
Use 4-8 tbsp of LABS/gallon water or one liter of LABS /drum or 200 liters water. Use as basic spray to the leaves, soil, and compost. It can also be added to animal feed.